Friday, January 11, 2008

My Curly Date


Eating at a romantic cafe I am always looking at all the other couples. I should be intimately discussing the food, the wine, the atmosphere, our plans, anything. But I can't help myself. What I am really wondering: why is that couple fighting? Does that couple in the booth always where matching shoes? Does that picky couple send back their wine everywhere they go? Tonight its the curly couple that catches my eye.
Both have perfect dark curls; his coiled tightly above his head, hers in cascading ringlets down her back. I imagine all their shared hair products in the bathroom spilling out of the cabinets, filling up counter space, and even the products that never worked relegated to underneath the sink. Do they fix each others curls? Do they have a deep understanding of each others hair? Was it those curls that first attracted them together, some mutual loathing flat irons and frizz? I am trying to focus on my date, my food, my wine... Yes. Yes! YES!!! I decide they do fix each others hair, and they do understand each others curls and it was what attracted them for the first time.
I shake myself free of the detailed thoughts about the curly couple. I too am having a great night, a perfect date. As we are leaving it begins to mist outside. My date leans in, his kiss blurs with the white city lights. He suggests going for a walk. I look at him and say "you are talking to a woman with curly hair and suede boots on." He smiles and steps into the street to get a cab. He doesn't have curly hair but he knew walking was not an option. We may not share hair products or bond over bad hair days, but we do have great dates.

2 comments:

lauermar said...

I love this! I'm naturally poker straight with fine hair. If you saw how awful my hair looked, thin and limp in the rain, not pretty at all. I've been perming my hair with tight rods to a 3b for 30 years now. When it rains, I don't mind going outside knowing my hair will fluff up to 3x its normal density. I'm so thrilled not to have limp spaghetti for hair. Consider yourself blessed.

lauermar said...

I love this! I'm naturally poker straight with fine hair. If you saw how awful my hair looked, thin and limp in the rain, not pretty at all. I've been perming my hair with tight rods to a 3b for 30 years now. When it rains, I don't mind going outside knowing my hair will fluff up to 3x its normal density. I'm so thrilled not to have limp spaghetti for hair. Consider yourself blessed.